Did you know that commercially purchased play dough is full of toxic ingredients? I don’t know about your kids, but my little ones are always trying to eat it! My other pet hate is that they leave it out and it goes dry and it’s not cheap!
So I’ve turned to making my own and I’ve come up with an awesome recipe that contains no toxic ingredients, is super easy (and cheap!) and I’ve added some beautiful essential oils to give it an aromatherapy benefit.
2 tbsp baking powder
290g boiling water
330g plain flour
15g of any oil you like (I used rice bran)
Hoopers food colouring (for a non toxic colour)
Essential Oils of choice (I used Lavender, Balance, Grapefruit, Lemon and OnGuard)
1. Boil water in your kettle
2. Place salt in Thermomix or blender. Blend 10sec, speed 8 or until it resembles a fine powder
3. Add in the baking powder and blitz 5sec, speed 8
4. Pour boiling water over salt and cook 60deg, 4min, speed 4
5. Add the flour and mix 40sec, speed 3 or until combined
6. Add the oil and pulse until mixed together
7. Place dough onto a clean surface and make a well in the center. Add your food colouring of choice and knead until the colour is mixed through
8. Make a well in the center and add 2-4 drops* of desired doTERRA** Essential Oil. Knead until mixed through
8. Store in an airtight container for a couple of months. You may like to add additional oils in a month if the smell has dissipated.
I hope that your kids enjoy playing with this dough as much as mine do! It is also great to have with calming oils such as Lavender and Balance when kids are having play dates!
*If your kids are prone to eating the play-dough I recommend using only 1-2 drops and ensuring you only use oils that are safe for ingestion (as directed on the label) such as Lavender, OnGuard and Lemon
*I only recommend using doTERRA essential oils as I can verify the purity and potency.